Sunday, February 8, 2015

Why just saying your prayers, doing your devotion, and going to church doesn't mean you are "all in"

Oh I have been itching to write this blog post. I was in the middle of listening to a Francis Chan sermon and I just had to stop and write this. I feel like I need to share a few things I have learned these past few months and how much it has changed my life.


First off, I do not have all the answers, I am far from them all. But I really feel called to write this.

Over the past few months I have realized something incredible but also a little heart breaking. For the past 10 years or so I have been a "Christian"; I went to church, did my devotion, prayed, longed for God, was nice, etc. But not until recently I had a reality shock, I don't know what clicked, but God really opened my eyes. I thought what I was doing was fine. I was living a great life, great family, no problem.

I had heard a lot of stories of people with the same back story as mine but in the midst of it all they got a reality shock just like I did. But you I always thought to myself when I heard these stories, "no that is not me", I have a great Christian faith. Boy was I wrong.

Oh my,  I cannot begin to express what being a true Christ follower is and what a difference from what I thought it was. Let me just tell you there is so much more joy and hope than anything I have ever experienced. It all really made me question if Jesus where to come down on this Earth and approach me face to face, what would I say, what would I do, would I feel like all my life's work was for the glory of God or just to look nice and pretty, was I giving it ALL up for Him or just "enough" to look good.

These questions wondered my mind for many months, I listen to some sermons and read some books. It really had me thinking. All this time were all these friends I was surrounding myself with, were they all in for God, was I even all in for God? I honestly don't think I was. Do you know how much that scared me? To think all this time I was missing out on the true meaning of being a disciple of Jesus. It really shook me and still does.


See, I believe God wants us to stop trying to live this pretty little nice "American Church Dream" but just go do something to glorify him. Stop worrying about your future, your safety, or your savings account.  Really, if you are gonna be who you say you are stop faking it and live it all out for the only eternal person on this earth. Nothing, NOTHING on this Earth matters. It is all worthless, worthless, it is nothing.

Giving it all up for God, has given me so much hope, faith, and joy.


This American Church Dream I see so often, it is just a routine (that I was in for quite some time).  If you really want to know what it is to be a discipline for the one and only true King, step out of your comfort zone, make people question why you live in such a way. Really. Do it. I heard this message so many times, oh and it never hit me that maybe just praying, doing my devotion, and going to church was not enough for the one true, holy, worthy God.

There are so many people who I thought were "all in" for Jesus and now I am started to question, are they really in it for the long run.


 If you don't want to read anything else but this, just listen for one moment. I challenge you to really ask yourself if Jesus came down here on this Earth right now and told you to leave everything behind (I mean everything, family, career, etc) would you?  Would you die for him in a heartbeat? Every day and in everything do you live for his glory?


I still have questions and am asking myself these questions. I am still figuring it all out, but I know now more than I ever have that my Holy, Worth, Amazing, Incredible, God is worth so much more than I could ever fathom and He is worth every moment of my life. He is so much more worthy than I will ever be and his grace is incredible.

Thank you so much for reading. I hope all you see is Jesus through this post. It is all for his glory. Now go love the world and shine bright for Jesus. xo




Here are a few resources that really made me think: I highly recommend them. 

What do you need in order to be happy? Francis Chan (the best sermon I have ever heard)

Crazy Love Book  By: Francis Chan

Radical Book By:David Platt (while I am still reading this I have heard great things of it)

8 comments:

  1. Gosh, this is an eye opener for me. I knew that there was something more than just having to go to the church every week (I honestly was peeling at the covers of this) but wow. O-O

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you were encouraged by this. He is worth every moment. xo

      Delete
  2. Wow. Just wow. This just made me think so hard about what I live for and what motivates me to get up in the morning (unfortunately, I shamefully realise it's school and the entertainments of life). I love your words "Would you die for him in a heartbeat?" Because too often, I pledge my life to Christ and never realise that it is in the little things I do each day that matter. If I can't even get up half an hour earlier to get to church on time, how am I supposed to give up my life, family, and career for His sake? Thank you for making me stop and ponder on this today xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am beyond happy that you got something from this. Thanks for the love, it is all for God. Truly I am so thrilled I can share this amazing joy and love He has. xo. Praying for you.

      Delete
  3. OH wow. You just really spoke to my heart. I really took a minute to think about what you wrote...sometimes it's easy to get into the "routine" of prayer and devotional time and then we almost just do it to check it off of our lists. Back in September or so, my eyes were opened to how I wasn't really living for Christ, and was merely doing it because I knew that's what I was supposed to be doing. I was opened to the true glory of our Savior, and that every moment of my life must be lived to glorify Him. Thank you for this post! It's such a great reminder!
    This was really encouraging to read, and I seriously love your blog so much. Definitely following!
    -Lauren <3
    lovingourcreator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you saw Christ through this. It is all him. I am with you. I wasn't really living for Christ, I am so glad God opened your eyes! xo

      Delete
  4. This is really awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Sophia
    someplaceinthemidst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete