Wednesday, October 1, 2014

the skinny theory.

Or Why Being Skinny Is Not Always Easy....

I have been wanting to write this post for a six months now and I have finally got the courage to do it. I have thought about it and what I was scared of was not a good enough reason for me not to post it. So here it goes...


Graphic Drawn By: Rabekah M.


You know, that girl you called a stick figure? That was me.
You know how she feels, not so great. Here is why. 

Being called a "stick figure", "twig", "super skinny", and a few more names can get tiring after a while. I never know if people mean it as a compliment or more like an "I am jealous" kind of way. Either way it can be hurtful. My usual reply is just a laugh and a smile. But what they don't know is that saying "you need more meat on your bones" or "what are you, a size double zero" can be just as hurtful as telling someone they are ugly.  For me, when you say these comments something like this is implied, "Why are you so skinny? It looks unhealthy. I am jealous." Listen, there are no secret tips or tricks I use.  I am skinny because I have a high metabolism and I choose to live a healthy lifestyle (note: being skinny does not mean you are healthy or vice versa, whole other blog post) and it just the way God created me.  And for today, this is how I am.

I do love the body God has given me and I do love my high metabolism (don't get me wrong that this is a post ranting about how much I hate myself and why it is your fault). I am proud of who I am and most of the time these comments don't get in my head. I make a choice to take it as an insult or compliment, but really - Do what your mama told you and if it is not nice don't say it. Telling someone that they are too skinny or questioning their eating habits is rude.

Note: I know that there are exceptions to this and are those who choose to not eat or burn all the calories off but please don't think that of everyone and use it as an excuse to say it in the first place.

I am not perfect. I call people things I shouldn't and we are all humans together, but we can all try a little harder together. Most of the time I don't think people mean it to be rude, but maybe we can all just think about what we are about to say before we say it and if it is really going to help or hurt that person.

In the end, all I am asking is the next time you see her walking down the street, look at her in a new way and compliment her with kind words and think that maybe just maybe she is a normal girl living a normal life.

Thank you to the moon and back for reading. xoxo.

What do you think people mean when they tell someone these names?

10 comments:

  1. Agreeeeed!!! I don't directly have this problem, but have friends who do and I totally agree with what you are saying. People need to remember that it's what's inside that counts, we all are given differnent bodies and that is that, sometimes people need to be reminded to step back and look at the bigger picture - like you have illustrated perfectly today :)

    I am a massive fan of your blog, thanks for sharing :)

    Phoebe xx

    honeybunchofoniontops.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I wasn't alone! Yes, inside is what counts! Even thought you may get tired of hearing it. It never goes out of style! Thanks so much for the love and so happy you like my blog! xooxo

      Delete
  2. THIS is the story of me life!!! I actually filmed a youtube video about this and was going to put it on my channel but decided against it. I'm tiny, I can't help it. It's how my body was made. But I used (well still do) get really offend when people say "wow your so skinny". It's hurtful to me because I hear the words but I see the look in some of their eyes and when they ask me what are my tricks to staying this size I know it's not a full hearted compliment. Yes, there are the random few that don't mean it as an insult but I've been called so many things to know that not all the remarks are positive ones. Sorry this was longer than I expected it to be!!

    Beautiful post :)

    Patty @ Bookish Wanderlove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way! I am excited te see your video! I know how it feels! People don't realize that just because your saying skinny doesn't mean it is just as rude as saying your fat sometimes! But God made everyone differently and I am so happy with my body now! Thanks so much! xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. What a great reminder that even if we think we are saying something "harmless" our words are very powerful. I got "wow, your short!" or "why are you so short" a lot growing up (ah the irony, growing up.. and yet I'm only 4'11'' LOL!) I think people may be envious, not know what to say, and yes even jealous. Bottom line we could all do well to think before you speak... I've heard from a wise lady Lysa Terkeurst "is it true, is it kind and is it NECESSARY" if not, probably no need to say it! Thanks Moriah - wonderfully written as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I didn't even think about that (short and tall)! I say that to a few people and didn't even think about it! THanks so much! I have heard that saying too before! We actually recite it at our school for a club! Ha! Thanks for the love Emily! xoxo

      Delete
  4. many of my friends don't understand how much the way they say these things hurts. Most of the time I can't tell whether they mean it well or as an insult. I agree with this whole post!! xx
    zoebold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! I normally can tell! I am so glad I am not the only one! xox

      Delete
  5. Wow, thank you for posting this! I have this problem almost every day in my life. Saying "You should eat more." to a skinny person is as insulting as saying "You should eat less." to a person who's not that skinny. Everyone's metabolism is different and ours happens to be really good working a super fast. You are not the only one, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one. We're all in this together girls!

    Nathalie - THE COVETING
    www.thecoveting.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I knew I was not alone! I totally agree. xo. And I edit my pictures on my phone through an app called Afterlight and sometimes VSCO Cam! :)

      Delete