Monday, January 20, 2014

guest post // I am a Hypocrite. We Are All Hypocrites.


Today my lovely friend Christina wrote a post about Hypocrisy. I don't know about you but I think she is an amazing writer. So enjoy and give her some feedback!

Hypocrisy is widely practiced by everyone all over the world. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, hypocrisy is defined as "the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do."  
One group of people known for being hypocrites is, sadly, Christians. Christians are seen by the secular world as people who judge everyone and think they are the best. When you type “Christians are” in google, the very first thing that pops up is “hypocrites”. Judging others is one of the main ways we as Christians are hypocrites. It’s the “holier than thou” attitude. It’s a shame because the Bible teaches us the exact opposite.
When Jesus is teaching the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 7:1-2 he says, “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.”
Instead of judging people, we are supposed to love people.
In Matthew 5:43-44 Jesus says, “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” Christians are supposed to love everyone.
I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather be seen as a genuine person than as a hypocrite. Being a hypocrite is inevitable, but the choice to be genuine is yours.
I can’t say that I’m a good Christian(and if you think you are, you’re probably lying to yourself), but I try my hardest to love everyone, no matter who they are. I fail every single day. I’m a hypocrite. Not just about judging others, but in almost everything I do.
In Luke 12, Jesus warns against hypocrisy.“Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees,” Jesus said. “They just pretend to be godly.” The Pharisees flaunted their religion in public for their own glory and not for God’s.
We have all heard the saying think before you speak. But if you really think about what you’re going to say, you can catch the hypocrisy before it escapes your mouth. It will probably surprise you how much of a hypocrite you are. But don’t be discouraged. We all face the same struggles and Jesus is always there to help you along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment